Author Interview with Robert Bertram



Today I'm very pleased to present Author Robert Bertram. Let's show him support by leaving a comment about his interview!

Where did you get the idea for your latest book?

It was whilst doing research for another project that I came across the letters and diaries of some women who had lived through the trauma of the Great War. What I read in them was so moving that it  inspired me to write my debut novel “Dance The Moon Down”. The title comes from an article in The Nation June 1914, written by John Galsworthy the author of the Forsyth Saga. Basically, it was a critique of the younger generation. He said of them that “they had been born to dance the moon down to ragtime”. The irony of that statement impressed me so much that I took it for the title of my novel.

What do you want readers to take away from your writing and this book in particular?

Hopefully a sense of satisfaction in having read an engaging novel, and perhaps a more acute sense of what faith and courage can achieve, not just on battlefields, but also in everyday life.


What kind of research did you do for this book?

It took two years of research to complete this novel. Most of that time was spent in libraries, scouring text books (I had no computer then) There were also endless visits to the Imperial War Museum.


What part of this book did you enjoy writing the most and why?

I think that has to be the time that Victoria spent working on the farm. It was her greatest time of testing. It gave me the chance to illustrate her strength and adaptability and how, when her faith was tested, she came through. In fact this whole section is all about friendship, loyalty and faith and that’s what I particularly like about it.


How does your faith play into your writing?

Naturally I have to believe in what I’m writing. I feel that faith is what motivates and guides me to make one decision against another, it being the right one. Curiously, after a time, I began to feel as if I was the servant of the book and that it was a story that demanded to be written. I simply wrote it down.


What is your favorite book by another author and why?

Definitely “Moby Dick” by Herman Melville. It’s an outstanding novel (In my opinion written before it’s time) that deals brilliantly with the subject of obsession and paranoia. Sadly it wasn’t  well received in it’s own time, but now is rightly acclaimed as a classic work of literature.

Favorite childhood book?

“Winnie The Pooh” by A.A. Milne. I used to read them all the time. I still do occasionally. 



Click here to purchase his book on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment