Fasting & Prayer


Yesterday I started my 39 day fast to pray for our nation to repent and turn back to God. The last time I fasted was four years ago for two weeks off solid food before the 2008 election.  My unbelieving family thought it was just another confirmation that I truly am a religious nut.  I survived on soups, juices, Ensure and milk-shakes for 2 weeks. When I happened to mention again to my sister that I was going to do it again this year only for about 40 days, she looked at me askance and said: "Well, it didn't work out so good last time now did it?"  To a nonbeliever, when you fast and pray for something not to happen and it does, they think that somehow God either misinterpreted what you were praying for or did what He wanted to do out of spite. I even turned down a steak dinner at Fleming's Steak House for a family party and had soup instead. They really thought I was nuts then!

This year I am not alone. There is a national movement afoot calling upon Christians throughout our nation to fast and pray (the website is here: 40 DAYS TO SAVE AMERICA.  The website says the following:
All around us, we see economic decline, immorality, corruption, growing secular humanism and attacks on religious liberty. For 40 days leading up to Election Day, we will humble ourselves before the Lord, and cry out to him with one voice to save America.
I have actually been praying for quite some time about the same thing before I heard of this. You'd have to be living under a rock not to have noticed all the apocalyptic events occurring lately. Here are just some:

Recent Mega Earthquakes:
Concepcion, Chile earthquake (February 27, 2010) - 8.8 mag.
Christchurch, New Zealand earthquake (September 4, 2010) - 7.1 mag.
Japan earthquake (March 11, 2011) - 9.1 mag.
Fiji earthquake (September 15, 2011) - 7.2 mag.

Mexico earthquake (March 20, 2012)-7.4 mag.
Baja, Mexico had a 6.2 (September 24, 2012) 6.4.
SW Colombia (today - 9/30/12) 7.2

In the past year there has been massive animal and fish die off's around the world, flooding, drought, massive crop destruction, economic melt-down of entire countries (and ours is on the way there). I don't think it's any coincidence on the timing of the book, The Harbinger, by Jonathan Cahn. God is trying to get our attention! The book and the video were recently mailed to every member of Congress.

In the book of Jonah you can read about how God was getting ready to destroy Ninevah.  He sent Jonah to warn them (even though Jonah did everything possible to avoid doing so, even going to far as to take ship in the opposite direction!). Jonah wanted that evil civilization destroyed! He thought they deserved it. So instead of telling people to repent he just told them they were all doomed and that they were going to get it within 20 days or so. Usually when Old Testament prophets told people to repent it would engender the exact opposite reaction; often resulting in persecution, punishment or even death for said prophet. Jonah was probably the most successful prophet in the Old Testament. He told an entire city that God was going to destroy it (no mention of repentance or mercy) and the entire place got down onto their collective knees, rent their clothes, cried out to God in sincere repentance and were spared!



Obviously I'm not the only Christian who can read the signs of the times. I think a lot of us are very alarmed at the outright hostility and hatred for God in general and us specifically. (The vote at the Democratic National Convention and the boo's about including God and Israel in the platform were eye openers!) We have ceased being salt and light and as a result the world is growing darker and more evil. Judgment starts at the house of God first so it is only fitting that we who call ourselves followers of Christ should be the first to repent and seek God's face!

That is why I am fasting. I managed to get through my first day. I had to endure going to Wood Fire Ranch BBQ with hubby's band members and was absolutely tortured by the smell of baskets and baskets of garlic buttered rolls sitting in front of me. I would rather have garlic bread than chocolate cake, hands down. I took a walk during dinner and bought myself a blender to take to work to make my shakes at lunch time. By the time I got back everyone had finished eating. Just finished a vanilla shake. I'm hoping for cooler weather so I can make some homemade split pea soup and cream of mushroom. The fruity shakes are going to get old really fast.

Today is Day Two and my husband says I'm already super grumpy. Now I understand why Jesus went into the wilderness to fast and pray...can you imagine what a grumpy, hungry Jesus could do in a moment of weakness? Just saying (and kidding....)

If you want to join in this fast and prayer for America, please keep in touch through this blog and let me and the followers here know what you are doing and how you are doing as you go and I will do the same. 

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Marlayne, this is so convicting...in a good way. Thank you for your commitment and now I need to prayerfully consider what to do. Thanks so much!

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to read your book, I think if you feel like fasting your family should stand by your decision. It's rough to fast but not impossible. When I first got sick, you couldn't pay me to eat, there are days I still don't. Sent that book my way.

    Lol. I love your page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I'll be praying for you and America. I agree there is a problem and I think the UK where I live is heading I. The same direction

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire your commitment to this and hope the days will fly by for you -I too feel our nation is in trouble and needs change badly.
    mind over matter-put your mind on other things then food, I think you will come through this and be better for it.
    Paula O

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, am very much concerned for our country and our world. In my humble opinion, this presidential election is crucial. During a study time, God reminded me that He is Sovereign and He can use even non-believers to bring about His plans and purposes. In these trying times, I hold on to that Truth. Thanks for your commitment to fast and pray for our country.

    ReplyDelete