How Did God Get Through to You?

I love to hear about how other people went from unbelief (even atheism) to whole-hearted devotion to God and his only begotten Son, Jesus Christ.  I was one such person... 


I was raised in a nonreligious home. My entire family is Jewish on both sides.  When I was young I attended a reformed Temple and observed the high holy days but it was mostly done out of a cultural obligation to Judaism (and because my parents "made me") rather than devotion to God. Like many Jews, I was raised with an anti-Christian/anti-Jesus “bias” and was taught that it was the height of betrayal to my Jewish heritage to "convert". Growing up I had little to no interest in “religion” and at the age 13 considered myself an atheist.  At this time the “Jesus Movement” was in full swing and I found herself a “prime target” for the “Jesus Freaks”. 
I found myself constantly harangued by them and finally figured out that if I prayed the "sinners prayer" with them, they'd go away much quicker; happily thinking that had won another soul to the Lord. Friends I met for the first time since high school at one of my book signings told me that they remembered thinking that I would never come to faith after watching a Jesus freak "hammer" me at a beach outing with them.  To a Jew conversion is a dirty word and the equivalent of the Nazi gas chambers.  Well they must have been praying for me.  Someone must have been praying for me.
I was going happily on my way through life, searching for what I would do when God reached down from heaven and graciously opened my eyes to the truth in a split second of time.
It was Easter week of 1977 and I wanted to watch the Ten Commandments for the 20th time.  My mom wanted to see the new Easter Special called “Jesus of Nazareth” by Franco Zefferelli and she won. It was the most realistic portrayal I had ever seen of Biblical events in my life.  When the crucifixion scene occurred; the moment the nails were driven into his hands, I remember thinking to myself: "If he could do that for me the least I can do is give him my life."  I bowed my head and asked Jesus into my heart right in front of the television set; little to my mother's knowledge.  


From that moment on I began to read the Old Testament and discovered that believing in Jesus was the fulfillment of my Jewish faith not the abandonment of it.  I am still the only one in my family who believes. My mom is still alive and 95 years old and I pray daily for the Lord to open her eyes and grant her the same gift of faith He gave to me in 1977.  My father died an atheist and the thought of where he is bothers me more than I could ever express; I don't want my mom to suffer the same fate.  
How did YOU come to faith? We would all love to know. 
Write me at: thevictorbook@sbcglobal.net and I'll post your testimony.

No comments:

Post a Comment