Encounters with Angels


I have never personally had a supernatural or miraculous experience (that I know of) but I know two people who have and thought I would share their experiences with you. If you or someone you know has had an encounter with angels, feel free to write and tell me and I'll add it to this post.

The first story I'd like to share with you occurred with my now 95 year old mom. I spent most of my life never hearing this story (like so many others I had heard repeatedly). My mom is Jewish and still does not believe in Jesus as her Messiah even though I have shared the Gospel with her for the past 25+ years. She is what is commonly known as a "cultural" or nonreligious Jew; the way I used to be, so it startled me when I heard from a friend how shed share the following story with a group of my friends (Messianic Jews like me) during a brunch.

She had been in her early 20's and about to cross the street at a busy intersection when the light turned green. She tried to step into the street but felt herself physically restrained by an unseen force. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't budge. In the next instant, the moment when she would have been int he street, a motorcycle screamed around the corner. Had she not been restrained she would have been killed. I have no doubt this was a guardian angel looking out after my mom. Even though she is not a believer, she has also experienced divine healing.  She had been suffering with spinal stenosis for years and suffered terribly with debilitating pain down her spine and into her legs. Several times I had to take her to get painful cortisone shots that would last for only 3 months. Finally after suffering excruciating pain one night, she told me she cried out to God and begged Him to heal her and he answered!

The other story I would like to share with you occurred over 25 years ago with my former pastor, Ron Bozarth and his wife Geri. Before he was saved, Ron used to own a very popular nightclub in Hollywood that was frequented by celebrities in the late 60s and early 70s. I got to take a peak at his photo album and saw photos of him with Elizabeth Taylor, Gregory Peck, Rock Hudson, all the old glitterati from the golden age of Hollywood. In the late 60's and early 70's a street preacher by the name of Arthur Blessitt was going around Hollywood with a 12' cross, sharing the good news of salvation in the bars with the drunks, drug addicts and prostitutes.  He constantly witnessed to Ron Bozarth and Geri and to make a long story short, they both gave their lives to Jesus on the day that he married them. Arthur is also the man wholed President George W. Bush to the Lord before he became President.

I met Ron and Geri (and Arthur) in the early 1980's when they were having home Bible studies. Arthur has gone all over the world with his cross sharing the Gospel with everyone including Yasser Arafat the Palestinian Terror Leader against all odds of getting to him alive.  I became part of their small group and after about a year they felt the call to go around the country and start up 10 person prayer cells.  They got a camper with an image of Jesus's face that had been captured in shadows on the snow and toured the U.S. starting up prayer cells. On a side note, Arthur has also had a personal, face-to-face encounter with the Lord Jesus himself which he tells about in one of his books (I forget which one).




While visiting relatives in Pennsylvania they got lost on a lonely stretch of winding road in the middle of nowhere with a sheer drop off the right side of the two-lane and a mountain on the other. Frustrated, Ron decided to turn the RV around and go back the way they had come. He turned, did some backing up then THUMP! The RV would no longer move. They got out to see what had happened and saw that the rear wheels were a foot off the ground and the bottom was resting on the ground. They were in the middle of nowhere with no other traffic on an empty road they could see for miles in either direction. This was also before the advent of cell phones so they were essentially stuck.

"Looks like you could use some help there," said a voice. Ron and Geri looked around and there before them was a pick-up truck and two men that had not been there moments before. Too distracted by their predicament to be shocked at the sudden appearance of these two strangers, Ron responded, "Well I hope you have a heavy-duty chain in the back of that truck!"

In response to his wise-crack, one of the men hauled out just such a chain and the two of them began hooking up the chain to the truck and the RV without once speaking to one another to coordinate. Ron got into the RV and in moments they had hauled the RV out of the ditch and back up onto all four tires. Ron and Geri walked around the back to inspect God's RV to make sure it was okay then turned around to thank the two strangers. They were gone as was the truck. Perplexed they looked up and down both side of the road they could see for miles and could not even see a cloud of dust. There was no way they could have started up their truck and high-tailed it out of there in such a brief period of time so that they covered 10 mines in the space of a few seconds.  Ron and Geri looked at each other and then then knew: God had sent angels to help them.

Do you have a story to tell along these lines? We would all like to hear it!

Carol Urton has her own "Angel" story:

New Years Eve I went to the airport to pick up my husband from a trip he took back home to Oklahoma for the holidays.  Upon arriving at the terminal I found that his flight had been diverted due to fog.  I stood at the counter with another disgruntled person waiting for their client, he was a tall foreign limo driver dressed in a black suit.  We found out where the flight was diverted and I headed back to my car to drive the distance to pick up my stranded husband.  Unfortunately, I got off the elevator to the parking structure on the wrong level only to be confronted by the Limo driver who wanted to discuss the flight diversion.  I was a little nervous because we were all alone in the parking structure and other than the dim lights it was dark.  He introduced himself, held his hand out and as I shook it I noticed he held on too long.  Then he suddenly looked startled and said to someone behind me, "oh, I am so sorry" and quickly jumped back away from me and told me to have a good evening. I looked behind me, there was no one there.  I hurried off to the elevator and got safely to my car. 

2 comments:

  1. My uncle had a near fatal heart attack while driving late at night on a quiet city street. Out of nowhere, a woman came along and alerted the paramedics. She gave them her name/address and then left. The address didn't exist, nor could we find anyone in our city, or nearby, matching that name.

    I also had a friend whose car broke down at night on a dark, country road. Surprisingly, there was a phone booth about 50 yards away. (This was before cell phones). She called her dad from the booth, and he came and picked her up. The next day, they went back to get her car, and the phone booth was gone.

    Angels in both situations, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was angels too, Jean! Thank you so much for sharing this story!

    ReplyDelete