A Hidden Message in the Genesis Geneaology
In Genesis Chapter 5 is the genealogy of Adam through Noah. In our Bible, we read the Hebrew names but what do these names mean in English? The Bible gives the translation:
1) ADAM: Adam's name means man.
2) SETH: Adam's son was named Seth, which means appointed. Eve said, "For God hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew."
3) ENOSH: Seth's son was called Enosh, which means mortal, frail, or miserable. It is from the root anash, to be incurable, used of a wound, grief, woe, sickness, or wickedness.
It was in the days of Enosh that men began to defile the name of the Living God.
4) KENAN: Enosh's son was named Kenan, which can mean sorrow, dirge, or elegy.
5) MAHALALEL: Kenan's son was Mahalalel, from Mahalal which means blessed or praise; and El, the name for God. Thus, Mahalalel means the Blessed God. Often Hebrew names include El, the name of God, as Dan-i-el, "God is my Judge", etc.
6) JARED: Mahalalel's son was named Jared, from the verb yaradh, meaning shall come down.
7) ENOCH: Jared's son was named Enoch, which means teaching, or commencement.
8) METHUSELAH: Enoch was the father of Methuselah, who we have already mentioned. Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah. Apparently, Enoch received the prophecy of the Great Flood, and was told that as long as his son was alive, the judgment of the flood would be withheld. The year that Methuselah died, the flood came. The meaning of his name is His death shall bring
9) LAMECH: Methuselah's son was named Lamech, a root still evident today in our own English word, lament or lamentation. Lamech suggests despairing.
10) NOAH: Lamech, of course, is the father of Noah, which is derived from nacham, to bring relief or comfort, as Lamech himself explains in Genesis 5:29.
The Composite List - Now let's put it all together:
|Mahalalel||The Blessed God|
|Jared||Shall come down|
|Methuselah||His death shall bring|
|Noah||Rest, or comfort.|
That's rather remarkable: "Man (is) appointed mortal sorrow; (but) the Blessed God shall come down teaching (that) His death shall bring (the) despairing rest."
I highly recommend buying his book "Cosmic Codes". It is a short but absolutely fascinating read!